How do I put my device into DFU mode?
The following process is for iPhones and iPod touches. The Apple TV 2G is different and not described here.
- Connect your device to your computer.
- Make sure iTunes is running and all necessary drivers are installed. During the following process ignore any messages from iTunes. There is no need to click on any messages that might appear.
- Turn off your device by pressing and holding the power button until the red slider appears. Then turn off with the red slider. If you cannot do this, please see How do I enter DFU mode if device is in recovery loop? instead.
- Turn on your device with the power button and keep holding the button.
- Wait until you see the Apple logo plus one second longer.
- Now additionally press the home button (still don't let go of the power button).
- Wait until the screen disappears (gets black) plus one second longer.
- Now release the power button, but keep pressing the home button.
- Wait until you hear a "connected" sound from iTunes.
- You should now be in DFU mode and your screen should be black. If you see the USB logo instead, try again.
last edit: 2011-02-21
Most frequently read after this
Most read articles overall
Recently added or changed
| ||iPhone||iPod touch||iPod||iPad|
| ||Apple TV 2G||jailbreak||unlock||iOS 4.2.1|
| ||Jailbreak FAQ||Jailbreak F.A.Q.||iPhone 3G||Apple|
| ||mobile phone||firmware||iPhone 4||iPhone 3GS|